HP lets you set up your printer through a wireless utility or by connecting a USB cable to configure your wireless network settings.
HP Auto Wireless Connect
HP Auto Wireless Connect connects your printer to your wireless network automatically. Not all computers or network configurations are compatible. View the system requirements.
NOTE: If your printer has been on for more than one hour and it hasn't tried to connect to your wireless network, you can reset it by using the Restore Network Defaults option from the printer control panel.
This connection method is recommended, if available. During setup you won't have Internet access. Be sure to save your work before continuing with this setup method.
To use this option, install the software for your printer and follow the onscreen instructions. When prompted, select the Network (Ethernet/Wireless) connection type and then choose Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer (recommended).
If HP Auto Wireless Connect isn't offered or is unsuccessful, you'll be guided to use another wireless setup method.
The Wireless Setup Wizard
- Open the Control Panel on the printer.
- Select Setup (wrench icon), then Network.
- The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in range.
- Select your Network Name and enter your password.
- If your wireless network isn't listed, you can enter your network information manually.
USB Setup of Wireless
- Some HP wireless printers can use this wireless setup method during the printer software installation.
- During this process you'll temporarily connect a USB cable between the computer and the printer.
- It's important that you connect and disconnect the cable only when prompted by the software, which will guide you through connecting and configuring your printer's wireless connection.
- In some cases the software may automatically find your wireless settings for you.
The following instructions may be used to set up various brands of printer. Menu options may vary depending on the manufacturer. Refer to your device's user manual for complete instructions.
NOTE: Some wireless printers require software to be installed on your computer. If so, download and install the software on the CD that came with your printer. Some models may also require you to connect your computer to the printer during setup using a USB cable.
To connect your printer to your WiFi network:
- Make sure your printer is turned on and that your WiFi network is working properly.
- On your printer, access the home screen or main menu.
- Open Network Settings, and then select WiFi Setup (Menu option names may vary).
- Choose your network name from the list, and then enter your password.
NOTE: Learn how to find your network name and password.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the setup process.